High-Impact Practices

At Albertus Magnus College, there are multiple opportunities for you to engage in curricular and co-curricular high-impact practices, interactive learning activities that have been shown to promote student success. You will be able to build an ePortfolio for credit that you can take with you into your career or graduate studies; take part in experiential learning opportunities, including internships; engage in student/faculty collaborative research; take part in learning communities; and much more.  The Aquinas Scholars’ Program, an innovative program that enables you to work with a faculty mentor and peers on projects you design, is an example of one of the many opportunities that the Albertus Magnus educational model offers that can benefit your future. By incorporating high-impact practices, students are empowered to realize the established outcomes of the College’s core liberal arts general education program and to enhance their preparedness for careers in their chosen fields.

By demonstrating continued dedication to high-impact educational practices, Albertus Magnus College has been named as one of the nation’s Colleges of Distinction. Albertus is noteworthy for successfully incorporating one or more high-impact practices into its undergraduate curriculum.

In order to earn a College of Distinction badge, Albertus Magnus College went through Colleges of Distinction’s strict evaluation process and excelled in each of the following high-impact practices:

• First-Year Seminars and Experiences
  • Writing-Intensive Courses
  • Service Learning, Community-Based Learning
  • Diversity / Global Learning
  • Internships / Co-ops / Practicums
  • Capstone Courses and Projects

Based on the 2019 Destination Survey, Albertus Undergraduate Bachelor Degree recipients are employed or continuing their education at a much higher rate than the national average. The national average is a 78% rate of employment in graduates’ field of study or acceptance into postgraduate programming only six months after graduation. For the Albertus Magnus College graduating Class of 2019 the average was 85%.

The importance and history of Albertus’ commitment to high-impact practices are reflected in the success stories of our student’s.

“Whenever anyone disparages a liberal arts education, I am a staunch defender. I always have been. At Albertus, I did not learn what to think, I learned how to think. As a result of that, I have crafted a fulfilling 35-year career in the field of spinal cord injury medicine, which I could never have envisioned when I received my Albertus diploma. I had always hoped that I was destined to make a difference in the world. Thanks in part to my four years at Albertus, I have been able to do that.” Lesley Hudson ’70

About the Author

Sean P. O’Connell joined Albertus Magnus College in 1987 as a faculty member in the Department of Philosophy and Religion. He became the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty in 2013. Dr. O’Connell received his B.A., summa cum laude and M.S. degrees in Philosophy from The Catholic University of America and his Ph.D. in Philosophy from Fordham University, and attended the Harvard Institute for Management and Leadership (MLE). His research interests are in Contemporary Continental Philosophy, the Philosophy of Art, and Gender Studies. He has been the lead author on several successful grants to support faculty development and the use of high impact practices. Dr. O’Connell provides leadership and oversight of all aspects of academic life at the College, which includes faculty recruitment and development, undergraduate and graduate programs in the Undergraduate Division and the Division of Professional and Graduate Studies, the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence, the Registrar’s Office, the Career Services and Internship Office, and academic advising.