Interview with Brian Pierce, O.P.

On Monday, March 31, Fr. Brian Pierce gave the St. Catherine of Siena lecture in the St. Thomas Aquinas Lecture series. The title of Fr. Pierce’s talk was, “Caught in the Middle – Between Two Friends.” This inspirational lecture will be posted on the Albertus Magnus College YouTube Channel.

Brian Pierce, OP., is a Dominican Friar of the Province of St. Martin de Porres, USA. In the 1990’s Fr. Brian was part of the team of Dominican friars sent to Honduras to found a new community of preachers in the Diocese of San Pedro Sula, where they worked in the formation of lay leaders in barrios and mountain villages with men and women living with HIV-AIDS.

Fr. Pierce spent a year and a half in a contemplative ashram dedicated to Christian mysticism and interreligious dialogue. After spending three years with a preaching team based in the USA, Brian moved to Lima, Peru to serve for three years as the Promoter of the Dominican Family in Latin America and the Caribbean. Most recently he accompanied the contemplative nuns worldwide. Fr. Pierce has written three books: Martin de Porres: A Saint of the Americas, We Walk the Path Together: Learnings from Thich Nhat Hanh and Meister Eckhart and Praxis y Prediacon (a book in Spanish for preachers).

While Fr. Pierce was on campus he had an interview with Sr. Anne Kilbride, O.P., Assistant to the President for Dominican Mission and Ministries.

1. How has being part of the Dominican family impacted your I learned to be a Dominican through my association with other Dominicans.

The first group of the Dominican family I met, when I was a college student attending a retreat, was the Dominican Nuns. I was praying in the chapel of the Dominican Nuns when I had this profound experience of God’s presence in the contemplative silence of the chapel. This experience made me want to know more about the Dominican family and meet more members.

As I came to know more Dominicans I began to feel more and more a part of the As I became a member of the Dominican family, consisting of the friars (priests and brothers), nuns, sisters and laity, I saw this group as a gift to the Church. Each group lives the Dominican Charism in their unique way of life and therefore impacts many more lives.

2. What do you think is essential for a Dominican college to promote in today’s world?

For me, what is essential for a Dominican college to promote is dialogue – a dialogue that leads to truth.Through dialogue one realizes we do not own truth rather we receive and uncover truth as a learning community. From my short time here at Albertus, I have observed and heard the dedication of the faculty to this type of learning.

3. As a member of the Dominican family, what is your hope for the future of our students?

I hope the students will listen to the Word of God together so they can experience dialogue around the Word and build a faith filled Dominican community. In this process of sharing around the Word students can be opened to different viewpoints and the power the Word to form our minds, hearts and lives.

Sister AnneSister Anne Kilbride, O.P., special assistant to the president for the promotion of the Catholic, Dominican Heritage at Albertus Magnus College. She came to the College in 2011 as a consultant to gather ideas and make recommendations on new and creative ways to strengthen the College’s long relationship with the

Dominican Sisters. Now she assists the College in developing academic and social links with national and international Dominican teachers and preachers.

Sister Anne received a bachelor’s degree in English and education from Southern Connecticut State University, and master’s degrees from the University of Notre Dame in theology and Boston College in pastoral ministry; she also pursued further study in counseling, family counseling and theology at the University of Notre Dame, Ohio Dominican University and St. Joseph College.

Deeply involved in congregational ministry and leadership for the past decade, she served as a member of her congregation’s leadership team and as prioress. Her primary focus has been to promote Dominican life and mission now and into the future.