Dreams in Graphic Detail

g9ogbsm2Albertus senior Beata Brouard showcases art exhibit featuring classmate Rebecca Samuels.

Senior Rebecca Samuels currently has her exhibit “Circular Somethings” featured inside the Hubert Campus Center at Albertus Magnus College. An East Haven, Connecticut native, Samuels will be graduating in May with a bachelor’s degree in art (with a concentration in graphic design) and a minor in computer science. This student exhibit is an opportunity offered through Professor Jerome Nevins’ Senior Project class. After graduation, Samuels plans to continue with her current internship with FastSigns in North Haven, Connecticut. “I think I will work there for a while”, said Samuels. “I learn more and more every day from one of my bosses, who I feel can also be considered my mentor, Kim.” Samuels’ internship has helped her to further develop as a professional, swiftly growing with the skills she has learned while earning her degree.

image (9)                               image (13)

Having a lifelong love of art, Samuels began to discover how a lifelong passion could translate into a career through an Albertus degree. “I knew my interest in art could take me further when Professor Nevins noticed how easily Adobe Photoshop came to me (as opposed to others). He said that I should really consider a career in it, and that’s what I plan to do now!” Through her opportunity to showcase her work in the student gallery, Professor Nevins has helped Samuels use her strengths and grow as an artist. For her Senior Show, Samuels found inspiration from the “Flower of Life” found in the Temple of Osiris in Egypt. Dating back to 10,500 B.C., this historical form of radial symmetry represents more than meets the eye. “Although it is only composed of circles, The Flower of Life has a complete other spiritual meaning to those who know it. I would say this is one piece of art that has definitely inspired me with my “Circular Somethings.”

image (1)                                     image (8)

“Circular Somethings” is a series of graphic images created from photos brought to life with Adobe Photoshop. Samuels gathered photos of different items in her daily life, rotating her work several times to create a star. Each of Samuels’ pieces is very different, including pieces created from the exact same photograph. Turning seemingly “ordinary” objects into beautiful pieces of art, Samuels’ work embodies all she has learned with seamless grace. “Circular Somethings” is on display in the Margaret L. MacDonough Gallery inside the Hubert Campus center. The exhibit continues through Friday, April 4, 2014.

image (12)                                image (11)

Beata Brouard
Year: Senior
Major: Communications