GOLD: Graduates of the last decade

Gina

My name is Gina D’Agostino and I graduated in May 2013, but I am currently pursuing a master’s degree in the Albertus Five-year MBA program with a concentration in Human Resources.  During my senior year, I applied for an internship through the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) where I would be able to complete an internship in the Albertus Alumni Office.  I was one of four students chosen nationwide to receive the CASE Affiliated Student Advancement Program (ASAP) fellowship.  As part of my internship, I was able to attend the CASE ASAP conference in New Orleans, Louisiana, along with three other Albertus students who are in the Student Alumni Association.  Attending this conference, especially in New Orleans, was an experience of a lifetime.  We learned about what other schools across the country, large and small, are doing to promote alumni relations, philanthropy, and giving back to their alma mater.

Together with Stefanie Seslar, director of alumni relations, and Carolyn Behan Kraus, vice president for development and alumni relations, we decided that my internship would focus on developing a “Graduates of the Last Decade”  or GOLD group.  This group would consist of traditional undergraduate alumni of the College who have graduated in the past ten years, 2003-2013.  We believe that young alumni are looking for different opportunities to stay connected with the College other than what has been traditionally offered.  I began doing some research, sending out a survey to determine exactly what types of events they would like to see hosted.  The majority of the votes suggested that the events that would most likely be attended were happy hour events.  Thanks to alumni feedback, the Young Alumni Group has set up various happy hour events for young alumni to meet up, have fun, and connect with one another socially and for professional networking.

The first event was held, after the College’s annual Fall Fest, at Christopher Martin’s Restaurant and Bar in New Haven.  More than 30 young alumni joined us to continue the Fall Fest festivities.  In December, the College hosted its first annual Christmas Tree Lighting, held outside of Aquinas Hall.  There were several tables featuring different activities. The Student Alumni Association had DIY ornaments for students and children; Residential Life sponsored writing Christmas Cards to the troops overseas, and the Young Alumni Group sponsored an Ugly Sweater Photo booth.  Our very own Santa Claus was also there to take pictures with students, alumni and families!  This month, we will be hosting an “I Hate Valentine’s Day” event, once again at Christopher Martin’s.  The event will be held Thursday, February 13, from 5 to 7 p.m., and include games and trivia complete with great Albertus prizes.

The Young Alumni Group hopes to continue to plan specific events targeted for our young alumni throughout the year.  One event, scheduled to take place in April, is a scavenger hunt in Downtown New Haven.  Please follow our Facebook & Twitter accounts to stay up to date on the latest events and news!  If you would like to help plan events or to get more involved email me at alumniintern@albertus.edu.

UntitledGina D’Agostino graduated Albertus Magnus College in May 2013, with a bachelor of science in marketing and is currently enrolled in the Albertus Magnus College Five-year MBA program.  She is researching and implementing events and activities to form a new GOLD (graduates of the last decade) program designed to engage recent alumni through her fellowship opportunity through the CASE Affiliated Student Advancement Programs.