November is traditionally a month of remembering – the saints, our loved ones who have died, veterans and the celebration of Thanksgiving when we recall all the blessings we have received.
Tucked in the middle of the month is the feast of St. Albert the Great, the patron of Albertus Magnus College, on November 15. This year to honor Albert the Great, the College community is initiating an Albert Week to remember, celebrate and give thanks for this great scholar, teacher and leader. During Albert Week each day will be dedicated to living one of the four Dominican values: study, prayer, community and service.
- On Monday, November 11 at 12:00 (noon) members of the College community gathered in front of the Tagliatela Center to highlight the Dominican value of prayer. An intercessory prayer was offered for the College community (Board of Trustees, Administration, Faculty, Students, Staff and Alumni), Veterans, the New Haven community and the needs of our world. Following the prayer, the statue of Albert in front of the Tagliatela Center received a special blue and white scarf to wear during this special week.
- On Tuesday, November 12, the College will highlight the Dominican values of study and community. Students from the Student Alumni Association have prepared “gummy worms” and Albert facts for the students to honor Albert’s life and gifts as a scientist. Members of the Albertus community will distribute “worms and facts” to the students at lunch time in the Campus Center and to the adult students in the evening in Aquinas Hall.
- On Wednesday, November 13, the College will highlight the Dominican value of study. Janice McLaughlin, MM, president of the Maryknoll Sisters, will be at Albertus as part of the St. Thomas Aquinas Lecture Series to give the St. Albert the Great Lecture, “Can You Carry an Elephant.” Using stories, proverbs, and personal experiences from her years on the African continent, Sr. Janice will explore how the message of Albert is still relevant today. She will highlight Albert’s ability to reconcile the teachings of science with his faith nd will show how we can follow his example by being people of peace. The lecture will take place in the Devaney Lecture Hall, located in Aquinas Hall, from 5:15 – 6:30 p.m. To reserve a place at the lecture, call 203-773-8502 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Refreshments for the lecture will include Albert cookies.
Sr. Janice McLaughlin.
- On Thursday, November 14, the College will highlight the Dominican value of service. Student groups will participate in an Albertus Clean-up Day around the campus from 3:00 – 4:00 p.m., beginning at the Athletic Center.
- On Friday, November 15, the college will highlight the Dominican value of community. At 7:30 p.m. the Albertus Magnus Chorus will present “Cabaret“, in the Atrium, Tagliatela Center and at 9:00 p.m. the Student Alumni Association will present “Legends of Albert the Great,” in the House of Bollstadt, Campus Center.
Above is a picture taken from the Cabaret performance being showcased at the Act 2 Theatre.
Albert Week is a collaborative effort of the Student Alumni Association, the Student Government Association, the Athletic Council, the Advancement Office and the Office for Dominican Mission.