Albertus is a College that is steeped in tradition. From the Candlelight Ceremony as an incoming freshman to commencement after years of hard work have paid off, there are many things to look forward to over the course of a student’s time at the College. Alumni often look back on their college days with fondness because they formed life-long bonds with one another; a family was created among classmates. This year, the Albertus family is adding a new tradition, the first annual Christmas Tree Lighting.
The Student Alumni Association (SAA) is a group of traditional undergraduate students who work to connect students, past, present and future, to preserve the College’s traditions and begin new ones. They are sponsoring this first annual tree lighting for the entire College community to herald in the Christmas season together as a family so we can experience the joy the holiday season has to offer, together.
The first annual Christmas Tree Lighting will take place on Wednesday, December 4 at 4:15 p.m. on the front lawn of Aquinas Hall. A blessing and dedication of the tree in memory of Kevin Panagrossi, former Assistant Director of Enrollment and Administrative Services for the School of Evening and Graduate Programs (now Division of Professional and Graduate Studies) will begin at 4:30 p.m.
Many student groups and offices around campus are participating in the event including:
- Candy Canes sponsored by Breakwater
- Carols sung by the Albertus Choir
- Christmas Card Making for the troops sponsored by the RAs
- Gingerbread Cookies sponsored by the Division of Professional and Graduate Studies
- Hot Chocolate sponsored by the Science Club
- Ornament Making sponsored by SAA
- Photo Snow Globes sponsored by SGA
- Photos with Santa sponsored by the Tour Guides
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Photo Booth sponsored by the Albertus Young Alumni Group (The recently established Young Alumni Group is also hosting an Ugly Christmas Sweater Happy Hour at Anna Liffey’s in New Haven to keep the fun going, complete with contests and prizes and lots of holiday cheer!)
Special edition Albertus Santa hats will be available for purchase for $5 each.
Albertus is a Catholic College in the Dominican Tradition and the four pillars of the Dominican Tradition are study, prayer, community and service. This year the College community made a commitment to service through the 1925 Hours of Service project. Faculty, staff, students and alumni have contributed volunteer service to organizations in New Haven and beyond with the goal of reaching 1,925 hours by the close of this semester. An announcement will be made at the Christmas Tree Lighting updating the community on how close we are to our goal.
Also in the spirit of community and service, the Science Club and Office of Dominican Ministry are sponsoring a winter clothing drive. Donations of hats, gloves and scarves will be accepted at the tree lighting and will be given to people in need this holiday season.
As we all prepare for the excitement of the season and the importance of Christmas to our faith, we look forward to the beginning of a lasting tradition at the College. We welcome all students, alumni, faculty, staff, friends and family to be a part of the first annual Christmas Tree Lighting! RSVP today.