College Spirit Through the Eyes of a Falcon

Copy of IMG_1790The Albertus Magnus College community celebrated a Fall Fest weekend of fun, festivities but most of all we shared in camaraderie and college spirit.  This is a time when all students, faculty / staff, alumni, family, friends and neighbors join together in fanfare and excitement over celebration of athletics and academics.

The Albertus community celebrates the Fall sports season and a chance to introduce freshmen students to the spirit that is the Albertus Falcons.  We raise our wings and cheer on the kickoff of basketball and the wrap up of volleyball, soccer, tennis and cross-country track.

Our alumni come home to roost in a mini reunion of sorts to show their spirit at the games that were in progress throughout the campus, and to welcome new alumni.  Alumni take a moment to reminisce, while students network and see their future through Albertus.

These events bring together academics and athletics because Albertus is more than a community, it is a family affair as was very evident in my time at the weekend of events.

SHAKING TAIL FEATHERS AT ALBERTUS MADNESS

What a night!  Free t-shirts, games and a photo area – fun was had by all.

With my keen falcon vision, I saw strobe and spot lights on high beam and moving along the crowd as the games began.  As I soared in for a landing, I could hear all the cheers, music and laughter.  Brian Leighton, assistant athletic director/operations and facilities/head baseball coach, was the MC for the evening’s festivities.

There was a feeling in the air as if you were attending a NBA game,  Coach Leighton announced each player’s name with a thunderous, booming voice and the Albertus Falcon Fans screamed at the top of their lungs as each member of the Albertus Basketball Team ran out on to the floor.

The electric energy went right through me and I had to join in all the fun.  With a stiff beak up, I assisted Coach in supervising the games – there will be no crying at Albertus.  Everyone had fun and fans really rallied around each contestant.  Sophomore Alyssa Puccilli made the half-court shot to win the Albertus Bookstore prize pack. What a shot!  Dance routines like the one performed by Junior Earl Ali-Randall, Junior Shannon Knox, Junior Chrystal Dickey and other Albertus students inspired me to show my stuff and shake some tail feathers to the music.

Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 12.44.30 PMThroughout the evening, students, faculty, coaches and alumni made full use of the Albertus photo booth area. Photos were uploaded to the official Albertus Facebook Page and Instagram. There were so many props and fun poses that we could do that my friends kept returning to the nest to take more pictures.

BROKEN DOWN BUSES DIDN’T DAMPEN FALL FEST 

Fall Fest opened up with a gorgeous sun and brisk October breeze, perfect conditions for me to swoop in to continue enjoying the weekend celebrations and athletic competitions with Mount Ida and Anna Maria College.  The tennis and soccer matches started late due to bus break downs.  Did that stop us from enjoying the day?  Never, we are the mighty Falcons and persevere against all obstacles.

There was so much to do while waiting for the competitions to start:  volleyball match, meet and greet with Jim Arbromaitis, the Alumni volunteers featured an Alumni Hospitality Tent, food truck vendors and Faculty/Staff Dunk Tank with proceeds going to support enrichment opportunities for Student Alumni Association (SAA) members through volunteer programs, events and conferences.
Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 11.44.49 AM Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 11.52.38 AM Screen shot 2013-10-30 at 11.49.13 AM

Did I mention various Albertus clubs stationed stands and sold baked goods to help support club activities? I think this where my tummy ache came from, too many cupcakes, no matter how good, are no good for this Falcon. There was an area staged to take photos with guess who… Yes, me! Photos were shared on Facebook and Instagram again. I really enjoyed posing with past, present and future Falcons. Talons out, striking a pose that even Madonna would be proud of.

Whew, I was exhausted, but the buses arrived and it was time to let the games begin.  Albertus women and men’s soccer competitions as well as tennis, were now under way with all athletes giving competitors a fierce Falcon fight.  The side lines were heavily covered with spectators perched in their chairs, belting out Falcon screams to encourage the athletes in their valiant battle with opponents toward a win.
SUNSET OVER THE ALBERTUS NEST
 Screen shot 2013-10-08 at 11.59.53 AM

As I sat perched next to a trusted falconer, my aching claws in the air and belly full, I reflect on what Fall Fest means.  Watching the festivities is one thing, but until you have walked in the footprints of Albertus students you can never fully appreciate what a day like Fall Fest means.  The age range, population and stories are as diverse as the degrees students achieve.  Many full-time Albertus students are soaring into flight and leaving the nest for the first time; others are juggling work, extracurricular activities and nestlings.  No matter the flight pattern students take — day, evening or blended — they achieve the same goal - success.  Albertus students should fluff out their chest and be proud to share their Alma Mater with family, friends and classmates.  The rigorous work, dedication and sacrifices that students take on in their effort toward finishing a degree is what makes them stand out among all other creatures.

Albertus Magnus College students, alumni, faculty and staff ride the wind as I do, head held high, wings stretched.  It is the Albertus community, no wait – Albertus family – that is the wind beneath our wings, and helps us soar to our successes.

Flying Off,
Frankie Falcon