Mission Blog: Marney Tyrell

“Enhancing each student’s development, both as an individual and as a member of society”

As part of the ePortfolio classes Albertus Magnus College students have an opportunity to write about the mission statement of the college and how this statement impacts their lives now as college students and in the future. Student Marney Tyrell of Milford, member of the class of 2014, shared her thoughts on the College’s commitment to “enhancing each student’s development, both as an individual and as a member of society.”

The line from the mission statement that resonates with me is the following: “The College provides an educational environment dedicated to enhancing each student’s development, both as an individual and as a member of society.”

Since I have been at Albertus I have enhanced my development as a student in the way that I think about what I am learning. In one class my professor is extremely engaging in lectures in a way that makes students think deeply about what he is saying. Having teachers like this really helps students think critically about what is being said. Thinking in this way helps students’ process information and develop their own unique ideas.

I will live the mission by making sure what I learn is given back to society. For example, I will use the skills I learn in my major (art therapy) to help others in our society. Even though I will be helping individuals, they in turn will affect the lives of others. It is like a domino effect, one change affecting another change. Therefore, the larger society is affected and changed.

If I was talking to other students about Albertus I would say I feel that I have grown intellectually as a student since I have been going to school here.

Read more about Albertus’ Dominican Heritage here.