Albertus Legacy – A Mother’s Dream

mothersdream

Legacy students at Albertus are those with a family member who has graduated from the College. The tradition goes back to the earliest days of Albertus: a member of the class of 1929 – the second graduating class – had a sister who graduated in 1936, a daughter who graduated in 1955 and a granddaughter in the Class of 1986. Today the connections continue and in honor of Mother’s Day we are pleased to introduce you to one of our Albertus Legacy families.

In her mid-thirties, Lianne Escher found her life as an individual, rather than someone defined by various roles. “I knew that I wanted, someday, to help others as I was being helped to recreate my life,” she says. It was that resolve that led her to Albertus, where she gained the confidence to pursue her interest in psychology. While a student here, she also attended lectures at the Carl Jung Institute in New York City, and after five years of part-time study at Albertus received her degree. She studied for three years in a master’s program at Smith College School for Social Work, and has a psychotherapy practice. “I so appreciate the impact that the meaningful experiences at Albertus had on my life.”

Athena Thompson, Escher’s daughter, remembers hearing about Albertus as a teenager, but she too came to Albertus as an adult: “I worked after high school and didn’t find my way back to college until I was 32. I had two very young children, but I wanted to be on campus during the day for a full college experience. It was worth every minute of juggling my time.”

Elijah Beebe-Maddix, Thompson’s son, also grew up with first-hand knowledge of Albertus, often coming to campus with his mother. When it was college-time, a campus tour helped him decide that Albertus was the right place to be.

“I’m so pleased that my daughter and now my grandson have made Albertus their choice.”

- Lianne Escher, Bachelor of Arts ’82, Psychology Major

Lianne Escher, M.S.W., has recently been recognized by Continental Who’s Who as a Pinnacle Professional in the field of Mental Health Services. She is a psychotherapist and member of the National Association of Social Workers, and works with clients in the areas of energy healing and counseling. Prior to establishing her private practice, she worked at Yale University.

One thought on “Albertus Legacy – A Mother’s Dream

1. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.