Building Confidence from Going Back to College

It’s coming to that time of year again: that time when the happy new graduates go on to achieve their future goals after gaining their degrees. They are all gleaming with confidence and pride. Going back to college – or going to college for the first time as a working adult – can be stressful and nerve-racking. That confident glow shown by recent graduates doesn’t begin at their commencement ceremonies; it originates from their first day in class, followed by meeting their classmates, overcoming challenges, working together on each course and learning other skills they can use in everyday life.

Overcoming Challenges

There are a number of challenges students face when choosing to go back to school. Between family and schoolwork, things can get pretty busy. Confidence grows with every challenge overcome successfully, no matter how little that challenge may seem. Every homework assignment returned with a score of 100 percent – especially after a hard week – greatly boosts confidence. So many students build their confidence by doing well on assignments outside of class. By the time they present their final project to the rest of the class, they are prepared to deliver a great presentation.

Working and Presenting in Groups

Many adult students gain confidence from working together. They realize they are not alone. By working together in groups, as in the cohort model, students talk to each other about their goals, their busy schedule and their family life. They often find that their goals are very similar. Their goals-might be to better provide for their family; to seek a promotion, to change careers, or to pursue a dream job. Being able to bond over similar goals goes a long way to building great confidence and teamwork. Many students have said that their group presentations gave them great confidence moving forward to future classes, and after they graduate.

Other Skills Learned

Confidence gained from going back to college is not only used in the classroom and the workplace, but everywhere else in life. Now that classrooms have been equipped with much more technology, students are finding that they are becoming much more computer savvy. This confidence in technology carries over into use of devices in everyday life. In the video below, a recent Albertus graduate says, “(With) the computer skills I mastered while I was here and the confidence that I have now, I can do pretty much anything I want to now.”

Transcript from Video

My name is William Farm and I just graduated with a bachelor’s degree in business management.

My favorite memories of the experience, in general, probably (come from) having one of those challenging classes, having some kind of big project due, working together, struggling, and maybe waiting to the last minute on certain things. Then, when it all comes together, and you actually stand up and do a presentation (per se) and everybody does it nicely, everybody does it perfectly, it’s just a great feeling. That confidence carries into everything that you do.

(With) the knowledge that I got while I was here, the computer skills I mastered while I was here and the confidence that I have now, I can do pretty much anything I want to now.

One thought on “Building Confidence from Going Back to College

1. I’m more than happy to find this website. I wanted to thank you for ones time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely savored every bit of it and i also have you bookmarked to see new things in your website.